Sunday, August 24, 2008

Peanut Butter Love Notes....


I know the title of this post sounds like a Jack Johnson song, but I don't really care, since he writes great songs and I've been wanting to post this particular story for a long time.
Let me also state that I know the accompanying picture is not made of peanut butter, but the story still applies.
The photo at left is of three strawberry Toaster Strudels that Katrina made for me. those of you who know Katrina well, also know that her life mantra is " Food Equals Love", thus the superfluous strudel... but I digress...
So the photo at left speaks for itself; Darling Katrina made me a snack (actually, I think it was breakfast) and found her own loving way to make it special. I decided to commemorate the moment with my little point and shoot and finally write a story that has nagged me forever.
You see, the strudel is only a small part of this story.
For years, Katrina has peeled back the foil lid on a new jar of peanut butter, written similar notes to me in the smooth surface (usually with cute little flower pictures included) and replaced the foil and plastic lid until it's time for me to open a new jar.
the reason that she does this is that she knows one of my favorite things is to dip a (clean) finger into a brand new jar of peanut butter and scoop out a taste (Ala Joey's peanut butter fingers on Friends). Now I only do this on a new jar and it mostly dates back to memories of my mom when I was growing up.
Anyway, she decided one day, after purchasing a new jar, to leave a loving little surprise for me and has been doing it ever since. It's so sweet and tender, and I was so flabbergasted the first time I saw it, that I don't even mind her defacing the surface before I can. She is not usually very good at planning romantic gestures or thinking of things for my birthdays and our anniversary, even though she racks her brain for ideas; it's just not her forte'. So when she did this spontaneous romantic gesture, it just touched my heart so much.
I always thought that if I ever wrote a novel, that I would use that somewhere in the book as a romantic gesture, and then name the book thusly.
As it stands, I will probably never write the Great American Novel, so I will share this wonderful memory with each of you in the hopes that it will live on, and signify the basis for any great love affair...
As an after note: I have taken peanut butter pictures in the past. If I ever get around to digging them out, I will add them to this post. On the other hand, it may just be a whole lot easier to eat lots of P,B&J's for the next few weeks...

1 comment:

Sheila said...

That is sooo sweet! We all love Katrina:) With a title like that you MUST write a novel, I insist!