Saturday, March 19, 2016

Going With the Flow...

Meteorological Spring has almost sprung (a mere day away)- and  I am giddy with the rush of Serotonin and Vitamin D flooding my solar-starved pre-frontal cortex. I extend a warm welcome to my favorite blazing yellow, gaseous ball of  Happiness- Spring Fever is real...

The emergence of  warm weather signals the approaching end of our winter stay in Myrtle Beach. I've spent many blustery winter's nights researching all of the incredible places that we are going for our summer adventure and the itinerary has been tested and retested until it is a beautiful map of exciting destinations and memories.

I've planned every aspect of our trip from top to bottom- from hikes in Yellowstone to how many pairs of socks to pack- no detail, however minute, was left to chance. Except one...

Winter and spring are working months for both of us- Katrina works to provide our rent and utilities and I concentrate on growing my company's business as much as possible so that we can rely on continued revenue all summer as we travel. We scrimp, save and budget all winter so that summer is free from work other than my primary job- which is now on very shaky ground.

Many changes have come to our company and I am unsure how stable my employment may look for the long-term. The thought of being stranded somewhere in the middle of America with no income and no dress clothes makes the prospect of looking for another job quite daunting.
I truly don't want to look for another job- I like the work that I do and I adore the lifestyle in which I am fortunate to live, but that may all change in a moment if my company doesn't survive.

So, responsible adults that we are (stupid adulting...), we've decided to remain in South Carolina this summer. We have many dear friends up in Spartanburg, one of whom has made it possible for us to return to Croft State Park to host all summer and fall.
We will be among cherished friends and close family for six months and we will be stable and secure if the unpleasant occurs.

There is plenty of adventure nearby and short jaunts shouldn't be out of the questions. The van is readily outfitted for long weekends or whatever else we decide (all depends on Katrina's hosting schedule), so we will still be able to enjoy all that the Carolinas,  Georgia and Tennessee have to offer. I've filled many a Pinterest board with  things to do in Confederacy and I hope to have a few checked off by summer's end.

In the meantime, the big trailer beast isn't going into storage as planned- we've found a shipper to move it from Myrtle Beach to Spartanburg for a reasonable price and we will have a spare bedroom free for the taking this summer. We're be a mere four miles from downtown Spartanburg (whose skyline consists of the 'magnificent' Denny headquarters and about 631 two-story churches of various denominations), and we have free run of 7,000 acres of woods, lakes, Quonset huts, a soapstone quarry, a rocky river, cemeteries galore and a maze of various trails- including a mountain bike haven. Plus, all of our friends make excellent campfires...

Our apologies to all who were expecting a visit this summer- we are truly bummed by these lemons but we are trying to make as much ice-cold lemonade as possible. Please pray, meditate, light a candle or dance naked under a full moon (users' choice) for my job situation- whether that means new support internally or a new job altogether- whatever fate decrees.

We would love the company of any wayward adventurers and the beast sleeps eleven if need be. There are even bunks for the kiddos. Come join us under the stars, just don't forget your bug spray...

No comments: